Message From the Pastor
Dear Family of Faith,
Wow! Summer is still here! The 4th of July weekend is around the corner. Time to warm up the grills and break out the beach balls and sun tan lotion. Summer is always so much fun. Here at the church, we are starting out the month with our Independence Day celebration on Sunday the second of July; don't forget to bring your covered dish. On the 9th we will celebrate our 2017 High School graduates, and then on the 16th we will have our Holy Communion in the morning. As you can see, we have lots of good things going on.
I want to encourage you to invite our friends and neighbors to church. We have a lot of new people moving into our area and man are looking for a church home. Inviting people to church, however, is not our primary objective. Our primary objective is to win souls to Christ and lead them in discipleship. A somewhat dated (2009) but still relevant Barna Survey discovered the following:
"Varying numbers of Americans embrace the different aspects of biblical worldview thinking. The survey found that:
- One-third of all adults (34%) believe that moral truth is absolute and unaffected by the circumstances. Slightly less than half of the born again adults (46%) believe in absolute moral truth
- Half of all adults firmly believe that the Bible is accurate in all the principles it teaches. That proportion includes the four-fifths of born again adults (79%) who concur.
- Just one-quarter of adults (27%) are convinced that Satan is a real force. Even a minority of born again adults (40%) adopt that perspective.
- Similarly, only one-quarter of adults (28%) believe that it is impossible for someone to earn their way into Heaven through good behavior. Not quite half of all born again Christians(47%) strongly reject the notion of earning salvation through their deeds.
- A minority of American adults (40%) are persuaded that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life while He was on earth. Slightly less than two-thirds of the born again segment (62%) strongly believes that He was sinless.
- Seven out of ten adults (70%) say that God is the all-powerful, all-knowing creator of the universe who still rules it today. That includes the 93% of born again adults who hold that conviction.
What is incredible about this survey and others (visit website) is the contradictions and inconsistencies between the beliefs and practices of thos who profess to be followers of Christ. The survey underscores our responsibility to reach our community with the Gospel.
Love in Christ,